theTICKER
Traverse City News and Events
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Today's News
Share | RSS Feed

Beef Still What's for Dinner Locally?

March 2, 2013
Beef Still What's for Dinner Locally?

At least two local eateries are booming, thanks to an increase in vegan and plant-based diets. But studies still show that the average American eats 200 pounds of meat per year. We caught up with butcher Mark Wilson, who along with his wife Stephanie, are the new owners of Maxbauers Specialty Meat Market, to find out if meat is an endangered species in Traverse City.

Q: Do you think meat consumption will decrease as more people adopt a plant based diet?
I don’t think veganism threatens meat any more than alternative energy threatens gasoline. Different diets work for different people, but at the end of the day, customers are always going to decide on the direction of the business. Beef is here to stay.

We actually have quite a few vegetarian and vegan customers come in. I always try to convert them. All joking aside though, I really admire how they seem to treat the earth with a lot of respect. I do that too in how I source my meat. But I’m still trying to perfect a vegan beef sausage!

One trend I’m noticing is the movement towards knowing where the meat is coming from. There are some issues with getting local meats to consumers. Local grass-fed meat has to be sold frozen as we have to buy it ‘on the hoof.’ I’d love to help get more meat that is raised right here onto family dinner tables at a price that supports farmers and is affordable for customers.

Q: Do you think meat deserves the bad press it has gotten?
It is true that meat is a source of fat and cholesterol – which isn’t all bad – but I’ve got some advice for those watching their diet - buy really good meat. Sure, a prime cut might cost a little more per pound, but you need a smaller portion size. I’m smoking some artisan bacons right now that are incredibly lean. In fact, I’d love to do a bacon fest here in Traverse City.

Maxbauers is celebrating its 100th year in 2013. Plans for the upcoming year include a beer and bratwurst fest to raise money for the Northwest Michigan Food Coalition - a network of food pantries, soup kitchens, emergency shelters and other such organizations in six counties that work to provide food to hungry people and families.

Wilson welcomes people of all food persuasions to stop in and chat. “I’d love to talk to anyone about food,” he says. “I love food. Heck – I even love salad…although I like it with thousand island dressing, egg yolk and bacon.”

Most Recent Comments

Pam charlson on March 11, 2013 11:54am

The best meat market when I moved here 24 years ago and still the best! The meat, service, and employees are awesome.

mark on March 4, 2013 8:51am

That lean, smoked bacon sounds great. I plan on becoming a vegetarian as soon as bacon starts growing on trees!

Rod on March 3, 2013 6:20pm

Mark is the best butcher in TC and Maxbauers has the best customer service of any retail establishment. If you want a great buying experience (not to mention great meat, beer and produce) visit Mark at Maxbauers

Theresa Bak on March 2, 2013 1:39pm

Mark is an honest and great guy. Has a terrific sense of humor too.
You can never go wrong buying your meats at Maxbauers. They are the best in town.
I get all my meats there.

Bill Palladino on March 2, 2013 1:28pm

Mark has done a terrific job transforming a TC landmark into an updated fun place to shop. I've never seen better customer service. His passion is infectious in the place. If you haven't been to Maxbauer's recently, you owe it to yourself. And don't miss the local foods end cap near the Union Street entrance.

Ken on March 2, 2013 10:54am

Mark, Thank you for being a great asset to the retail industry in Traverse City. The thought of a bacon fest and ways to promote our businesses is an important part of what we do. I have heard many positive comments on your store and the direction that you have taken with it. Fundraisers for food pantries and other organizations is an area in which all of the retail businesses can be a part of. Keep up the great work and good luck with your market. Ken

Russ on March 2, 2013 8:43am

One of my favorite places to stop at when I am in town, love this place!

Local Resources