Traverse City's leaf fall collection program will begin Monday, October 28 and continue through November 22. The following guidelines apply to city residents:
* No leaves may be placed in the street before October 25. Doing so may result in a civil infraction.
* On curb and gutter streets, residents are asked to rake leaves down into the street. On all other streets, leaves should be raked to the gravel shoulder or paved edge of the road.
* No leaves will be picked up in alleys, except for homes along Division Street, East Front Street from Railroad Avenue to Munson Avenue, and Munson Avenue from East Front Street to Airport Access Road.
* No plastic bags are allowed. Only loose leaves or biodegradable paper bags will be accepted.
* No branches or brush will be picked up.
* Vehicles should not be parked over leaf piles in city streets.
* Open burning of leaves is prohibited by city ordinance.
Leaf pickup will begin on the west side of the city moving eastward, repeating every five to seven days depending on weather. Residents who wish to have yard waste collected before or after the city's program period can arrange a pick-up through American Waste at a cost of $2.10 per bag at 231-943-8088.