theTICKER
Traverse City News and Events
Thursday, March 30, 2017

TC Might Double Parking Fines

Back To Article
Displaying comments 1 to 24 of 24.
James on November 4, 2010 10:30pm

I don't really understand the complaints. It's not making it more expensive to park downtown. It's making a stiffer penalty for parking at a parking meter for TOO LONG, thus freeing up space so more tourists can park.
The money made also pays for the PARKING DECKS created for the tourists. Why are people complaining about the lost tourism $$?

michelle on November 4, 2010 9:42pm

Chase our tourist out of our busy town. No time to go into another store or to take their time shopping because of a meter running out of time.

stacey Wilcox on November 4, 2010 5:58pm

Has TC ever considered what Petosky does for first time offenders or "not recent" offenders? I have gotten a very nice note that reminds me of paying for meters and watching the time - but thanking me for shopping DT.

Kathy Jakee on November 4, 2010 1:10pm

Wow! Traverse City is always pushing people to come "down town", now we are being punished for doing so. City commissioners you are driving more of us out of city. Well MALLS here I come! Traverse City has got to make it more then TOURIST attraction. People who live can't afford to stay. No industry, no work, no money to spend! How much unemployment is there in TC now? Bet commissioners don't even know if and they do what are they doing about it? Just thinking out loud.

Rick on November 4, 2010 9:51am

Have you ever seen downtown TC in the summer. People love the small town atmospere, reminds them of the good ole days. A $10 parking fine won't change that and compared to some other cities around the country, $10 is a joke and does not discourage anything.

Brad on November 3, 2010 9:55pm

Really? What price would you put on breaking a law? That space that you're holding could be used by someone who would ALSO like to spend some time patronizing our merchants besides you and yours'. Getting 30 minutes free is a nice perk. Have any of you folks ever spent anytime in a real city? $10.00??? That's cheap for a violation. That would hold you accountable for your selfishness, heaven forbid!!! Now all we have to do is ensure that the meters work properly, that might help to increase revenue too! Quit crying!

zack on November 3, 2010 5:51pm

Parking tickets are $50 here in Chicago. Park in a bus stop - $100. A $5 fine is not much of deterrent these days.

I'd be interested in seeing the business case for parking meters in TC. That is - is their revenue from coins and fines covering the costs of sending meter maids around to check them?

TCY on November 3, 2010 4:07pm

This seems crazy!! Isn't the purpose of the DDA to ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO COME TO DOWNTOWN TC!?
This is a surefire way to discourage people to say away or never come back! With the cold winters in TC I would think the DDA would do everything possible to entice people! It should not be about the $ generated; what about the $ lost!

Tim J. on November 3, 2010 12:37pm

This is ridiculous! How can you justify this? We need to stop focusing on the parking lot and focus on the roads! They're damaging cars and destroying snow plows, not to mention dangerous! I'd like to see the corner of S. Airport,Barlow and Lafranier fixed now. Very dangerous corner!!!!

Vivian on November 3, 2010 11:58am

Just one more reason not to visit our wonderful, friendly, downtown merchants. Since we have lots of malls (which I also don't frequent), why would anyone take a $10 or $20 chance when they can park free? I have lived here all my life and can only say: people used to be friendlier and more helpful, but now it's all about the money.

Diann on November 3, 2010 11:20am

I think this is rediculous. We pay way too much to park and the meters don't even allow you enough time to reasonable get a meal and/or shop. If you have an errand to run and want to meet someone for a meal or a cup of soup, you are required to move your vehicle in the middle of your visit. It's just not fair.

Dave H on November 3, 2010 11:18am

Oh, and I was in Los Angeles a couple weeks ago. I parked my rental car in a neighborhood that had some weird locals only ordinance in place, cost me $121.00 to park for half an hour and have breakfast. Trust me, that's an effective deterrent. It doesn't deter me from the place, it makes me careful to follow the rules, just what they want. Also a great revenue source for the cops. Write ten tickets a day and make over $1000

Dave H on November 3, 2010 11:15am

I haven't fed a meter in TC in years, I get about one ticket a year and it works out cheaper than putting in change. I get a kick out of it. It does seem a silly source of revenue, but a good strategy to get better compliance. The compliance isn't with feeding the meter, it's to use metered spaces for short term use only. If I'm going to be 6 hours I know I might have to pay $5, well worth it to me to leave the car where it is.

P. Schwartz on November 3, 2010 10:39am

Get rid of the meters altogether! Encourage people to use downtwon. WE ARE A TOURIST TOWN! The meters do not indicate when you need to pay and when it is free parking. I think they are a pain. Get rid of them!

T Johnson on November 3, 2010 10:11am

Something seems shortsighted about the increase of fines. Is the goal to raise additional funds or to curb parking violations? If you increase the fine, revenue could go down.

Eric on November 3, 2010 10:09am

I always viewed parking fees just as you stated in your opening line...you over stayed your welcom here in TC have a fine because you are spending to much of your money in TC now spend more. Now they want to double the fine. I think that this sends a very bad message to the people that visit here spending their hard earned money in our stores. Shame on the DDA and the city for this move.

mike ignace on November 3, 2010 9:57am

The idea of raising the fee is a bad idea because we should be helping people access downtown – not discouraging it with fines. Also with the economy down, the last thing people need is higher prices ...

Jim Lively on November 3, 2010 9:41am

I am really pleased to see the city addressing it's ridiculous parking violation policy. As a regular transit rider, I am offended that it currently costs less to pay a parking ticket ($5) than it does to ride the bus round-trip ($6). And people complain about traffic congestion while our policies do everything to make it painless to park in our downtown! Great downtowns do not exist for cars, they exist for people. People enjoy walking in downtowns. If not, the should go to a mall with 'free parking' (and a longer walk!)

S. Reens on November 3, 2010 9:25am

I overheard some young women in the parking lot of JPMorgan Chase bank who saw a ticket on her windshield. "Oh %&*#" said the driver....and then she said, "OMG,it's ONLY $5" and started laughing because it was such a deal!

David on November 3, 2010 9:20am

One more reason to avoid shopping downtown. And then the DDA will cry about how the downtown is struggling. And why is the cost of a permit for the deck higher than a surface permit? Sure there are costs involved with deck, but wasn't the deck supposed to be so grand a motorist draw and the solution to parking problems? Seems like just another reason to avoid downtown.

TGB on November 3, 2010 9:07am

So as a tourist, how much do I want to come back after I have paid a big parking ticket? We need to make TC more friendly rather than hostile.

TC just discovered $250,000 by asking Blue Cross to bid on health care... The Road Commission discovered some money in their budget and decided to give some raises.

Do we really need to raise parking tickets and make it ok because the tourists will pay?

RS on November 3, 2010 8:35am

Not sure I understand the math. The cost of a ticket is going to go from $5 to $10, an increase of $5 per ticket. The treasurer "processes more than 20,000 tickets per year". 20,000 tickets x $5/ticket increase = $100,000 annual increase in ticket revenue. The DDA estimates it will only raise $59,000?

bob steinberg on November 3, 2010 8:12am

Yep, raise the fines, then raise the rates on all parking downtown. That's exactly what the outlying businesses want to hear, because they have no meters or parking fines for their customers, and they will welcome all the people that have gotten tickets downtown.

Brian Tennis on November 3, 2010 7:27am

$10 stills like a pretty cheap fine to me.

Displaying comments 1 to 24 of 24.