Data Shows Traverse City's Most Dangerous Intersections
May 21, 2019
Michigan Auto Law, a metro Detroit-based law firm, has shared data showing the most dangerous intersections in Traverse City and Grand Traverse County. The 2018 data, from the Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit, notes the intersections where the most traffic accidents occur.
1. Division Street/US 31 at Silver Lake Road (Traverse City): 45 total crashes, 22 injuries
2. US 31 at Three Mile Road (East Bay Township): 42 crashes, 9 injuries
3. US 31 at South Airport Road (Garfield Twp.): 41 crashes, 9 injuries
4. Garfield Road at South Airport Road (Garfield Twp.): 31 crashes, 9 injuries
5. Beitner Road at M-37 (Blair Twp.): 30 crashes, 11 injuries
6. Cass Road at South Airport Road (Garfield Twp.): 30 crashes, 8 injuries
7. Division St. at Grandview Parkway (Traverse City): 30 crashes, 6 injuries
8. Barlow/La Franier Road at South Airport Road (Garfield Twp.): 29 crashes, 11 injuries
9. Division St. at Front St. (Traverse City): 29 crashes, 3 injuries
10.Front St. at Peninsula Drive (Traverse City): 27 crashes, 4 injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit
*Data includes any car accident (including fender benders, injury car accidents and fatal car accidents) that occurred within 250 feet of the intersection
Division/US 31 at Silver Lake Road, the #1 most dangerous intersection, saw only a slight increase in the number of accidents from 2017 to 2018. However, this corner had an increase in the number of injuries, from four in 2017 to 22 in 2018. At #2 on the list, US 31 at 3 Mile Road had 42 car crashes in 2018, compared to 33 in 2017. All told, Grand Traverse County had 3,665 traffic accidents in 2018. That is down from 3,734 in 2017.
The MSP Traffic Crash Reporting Unitreceives and processes approximately 300,000 crashes annually. Over 30 percent of all fatal car crashes occurred at intersections, according to Michigan Traffic Crash Facts.