Traverse City News and Events

MEDC Rejects Grant for City Property Purchase

June 6, 2015

A $1.25 million grant request that would have allowed the city to purchase a parcel of property at 400 Eighth Street was rejected by the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC) this week. City commissioners had hoped to use the parcel to expand Boardman Avenue as part of the city's Corridors Master Plan. Traverse City Mayor Michael Estes, who said the city had been promised "an almost guarantee approval" from the MEDC for the grant, called the rejection "fishy."

"Sounds like someone got to the MEDC and exerted some political pressure," Estes says. "I sure would like to know who." Estes says he plans to further investigate the cause behind MEDC's rejection of the request.

Comment

Interlochen Announces 2026-27 Arts Academy Events Lineup

Read More >>

‘Nighttime Detour’ Announced For US-31 Next Week

Read More >>

City Manager Talks Building 'A Consortium Of Communities' To Advocate For New Tourism Tax

Read More >>

Child and Family Services Announces New Director

Read More >>

FishPass Enters Final Construction Stretch

Read More >>

Driver Killed in Peninsula Township Crash

Read More >>

TC Food & Wine, Dirt to Glass Kick Off This Week

Read More >>

NMC Approves $13.5 Million Budget For Long-Gestating Student Services Hub

Read More >>

Crooked Tree Plans 2028 Exit from Carnegie Building, TADL Slated to Take Over

Read More >>

Boardman River Closed to to Recreational Users Near Beitner

Read More >>

Marina Assessment, Childcare Resolution, Eighth Street Rezoning on City Agenda

Read More >>

Naturally Sparkling: The Science Behind Pet-Nat Wine

Read More >>

TART Trails Launches $75,000 Crowdfunding Campaign

Read More >>

'We're Staying Grounded in Who We Are:' A Conversation With GTACS' New Leader

Read More >>